Tuesday 2 September 2014

Quarter-Life Crisis #2




"Nothing will mess you up more than thinking you should have your shit together in your twenties"



I was going to title this "Quarter-Life Crisis", and then I realized I'd already titled another post that (way back in 2012).
So, since I'm obviously very creative, here's Quarter-Life Crisis #2


Been spending the last week watching old 80s movies - mainly for a twenty-something Judd Nelson *coughcough*
(Can you blame me though? He was such a babe back then!)

Anyway,
so,
this post is brought to you courtesy of the emotional meltdown I had after watching The Breakfast Club and St Elmo's Fire.






(seriously, look at Judd Nelson. Just look.)

The Breakfast Club got me to reminiscing about high school and all my dreams and aspirations back then.

When you're thirteen years old, 20 just sounds.. Old. Mature. Responsible. and yet somehow, Fun.
24 just sounds.. well, to be honest, I never thought about 24. 


I'll be very honest,
at thirteen, I was so sure that by 20 I would have clear skin, the perfect body, a loving boyfriend, and a kickass job as a hotshot criminal lawyer.
(Also a lot of my daydreams about being 20 included a ten-year high school reunion in which I showed up with my very hot fiance and put all those girls whom I hated in high school to shame. ...Don't lie, you've all thought about it too)



It's safe to say none of those things have happened.

 

1. I don't look perfect.
All those things people tell you about "growing out" of your acne phase are lies okay. Lies!
You grow up believing that once you hit 17, all your pimples and scars will magically disappear and you'll just wake up one morning with a beautiful complexion.
Lies!
I've sort of gotten over my break outs (except during PMS - it's like zit central on my face for about a week then), but I still have some pimple scars. Definitely don't have clear, Aishwarya Rai skin.
I am also decidedly overweight and far, far too comfortable to do anything about it. I mean, of course I have endless moments of self-doubt and I want to get in shape, but like. I also have a readily available stock of Nutella. And cake. Because life just sucks sometimes, okay, and chocolate makes it all better. Don't judge me.



2. No hot fiance.
Not even a hot boyfriend. Hell, not even a hot guy-at-workplace I can secretly fantasize about.
To add insult to injury, the last four guys I've had mini-crushes on, have all turned out to be very, very gay. Like in serious-relationship-with-long-term-boyfriend gay.
 

...always knew I was born the wrong gender. 


3. Lawyer? Yeah, right. 
So I definitely did not plan on ending up wandering the hallways of a hospital in a white coat at the wee hours of the morning with an empty wallet and in dire need of my sixteenth cup of coffee - on a regular basis, but hey, nothing else turned out as planned, right?
Well, at least there's Suits. *-*


4. Zero social life. 
I am going to blame Friends and HIMYM and pretty much every other American sitcom that depicts twenty-year-olds hanging out in bars with their friends and having the time of their lives.
I'm also going to blame Facebook for reminding me that other people do have awesome American-sitcom-type lives.
I haven't seen my friends in ages, due to my spending almost all my off days sleeping (I work sixteen-hour days, can you blame me?). And my idea of a good time is hanging out in a hidden corner in McDonald's and laughing until I cry. Not so much the drinking-dancing-dating scene.
And yes, yes, there's nothing wrong with hanging out with friends at a generic fast food restaurant, but let me tell you, from experience, you do not meet new people (or prospective future-husbands that way. Not that I'd want to marry someone I met in a club...but yeah)



5. I don't have my own apartment.
First off, I definitely don't have enough money to think of getting my own place. And it's definitely a lot cheaper to just stay with my parents. I'll admit I miss staying with my friends though.
It's a pity all of us are miserly enough not to want to blow half our salary on rent each month. Add that to the amount we have to fork out for petrol and toll and we'd barely have enough to eat, let alone save, each month.




I suppose I am lucky enough that I have a steady job, my own car, a loving family and an amazing bunch of friends.
But every now and then, you think of the person you thought you would be at 20, and you wonder how the hell you ended up where you are right now. 

And I never thought I'd be so tired at 24. 


Quarter-life crisis, indeed, eh? 




~vid~

No comments:

Post a Comment