Tuesday 14 February 2012

The Yoga Lesson




Technically, the second yoga lesson,
but whatever.

So my teacher isn't exactly the devilspawnfromhell that I mentioned earlier.
Or however it is that I put it.
Can't be bothered looking through that post to quote myself verbatim.
But, I digress.

(Isn't that such a wonderful sentence though? But, I digress. It seems so incomplete somehow, and yet...it isn't. And its sounds so sophisticated and everything too)

But, I digress. Again. (see what I did there? wink wink. No? ok.)


Anyway, so second yoga lesson.
Still feel like complete shit after it, except this class I didn't blackout or anything.
(almost blacked out the last class)

This lady, my teacher, has been telling me from the last class that my shoulders were too high.
At first I was all like wtf are you talking about what you mean my shoulders are too high?
But.
She's right.
Thanks to years of slouching over my desk while studying/using the laptop, I've developed a sitting posture in which my shoulders are permanently contracted.

I bet some of you have it too.

Try this, right now,
while you're reading this, don't move away or anything or this won't count,
just take a moment and notice how you're sitting.

Aren't your shoulders contracted? Aren't they high up, almost near your ears?

And now you just relaxed them didn't you?

Well, mine usually are contracted that way, even if yours aren't you liar
And the past few days I've been trying to make conscious efforts to sit up straight,
instead of slouching the way I usually do.
I didn't even know I had a slouch!


And we were doing other random poses today, to strengthen the back,
and halfway through this lady goes
"Vidya, your whole back is really weak, you know"

And of course my brain launches into its whole defensive what-you-mean-my-back-is-weak-wtf-are-you-on-about mode,
but after a couple of minutes...I realised she was right.
Again, dammit.

There's alot of poses I can barely do simply because the muscles in my back aren't strong enough to support my weight during the pose.


Funny thing is,
some of the poses I could do back in 2008 with Dr Suresh,
...but then again,
my body was 4 years younger, and a good deal lighter at the time.

:/


I guess this simply means I have to get back into shape,
and do something about strengthening my shoulders and back.



And gosh, there was this one pose I couldn't do at all,
which involved using your arms to support your weight,
The Stick Pose?

My wrists aren't strong enough.
But then again, I always knew my wrists and arms were pretty much gone after I injured them back in Form 4.
Don't remember the injury exactly, I just remember having severe pain and weakness in both hands and having to wear wrist guards for a good few months.

Remember how Ms Ruth asked me if I was trying to make a fashion statement?
(I wasnt. I really needed those wrist guards ok or I would've kept dropping all my books all the time.)



Gaaaah.

What was that quote about the body being a temple again?


“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body,” (1 Cor. 6:19-20).


(I had no idea that was a Christian quote o.O #ignorance)


Right.
So if the body is supposed to be a temple,

then mine,
currently,
is an ancient, crumbling, ruin of a temple.

A RUIN.








Sighhh.


Oh well.
Time for dinner.

The temple needs nutrition too ok.

...although we're having pizza tonight, so that kind of ruins everything.

RUINS IT ALL.



Ruin is such an odd word.
The more I look at it, the more convinced I am that I've spelt it wrong.
Although it would be very difficult to misspell it.

Is the phrase "A Ruin" even grammatically correct?
It is, isn't it?

:|




~vid~

2 comments:

  1. Dinner two hours ago! I just got home from work! Timezones are weird.
    Languages, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah what time do you get home from work? We were having a late dinner thanks to my yoga lesson...2 hours off. :p
    Timezones are veryyy weird. But why languages? :)

    ReplyDelete