Tuesday 29 April 2008

Fully Detoxified.

Oh my lord.

I just had the worst night of my entire life.
Yes, I am a medical student...
Yes, I did watch that episode of House where he detox-ed...
Yes, I should have known better..
BUT
I just quite simply and quite completely forgot that one of the side effects of detoxing was throwing up.
Violently.
Which was exactly what I spent the whole of last night (and a majority of this morning) doing.
It got so bad that all I had to do was drink water and I would start throwing up, because my stomach was not ready to accept anything.

Detox Schmetox.
I had to get an anti-vomiting jab and I still threw up about ten times after that.

And I had to skip PBL today.
Grr.
I'm at home by the way, cos my mum freaked. :p
Plus point of living so close to home.

By the way, I think people who come up with these diets and detox programmes assume that you are just going to sleep and eat all day.
I highly doubt they would consider the possiblity of you having to do sun salutation and attend lectures and walk around and take LRTs and try to study the physiology of the heart and lung while not eating.
-__-

Also,
It occured to me that I should have at least googled detoxing before jumping straight into the 3-day programme thing that I got from some magazine.
But hey, wisdom comes with a price, rite?
(Bloody painful price at that too)
Anyway, now that I'm all better and everything, I decided to go google it anyway.
And share. :)

So here goes :
(from random sources)
1. If you eliminate toxins from your system too quickly you risk developing a cluster of side-effects known as the Herxheimer Reaction. These include lethargy, headaches, nausea, mood swings, spots and/or bad breath and a coated tongue.
*I was lethargic...I had a killer headache...most definitely suffered from nausea, but I think one day wasnt enough for the other symptoms to develop. My tongue is fine :p*

2. You should not detox if you are:
-Pregnant or breast-feeding

-Convalescing
-A child or teenager
-Elderly
-Underweight or debilitated
-Anaemic
-Have diabetes, heart disease, kidney or liver disease or other chronic health problems.
*I have no idea what convalescing means, and therefore I shall assume it does not apply to me. But I AM a TEENAGER. How come tat stupid magazine left tat part out!?*

3. If you experience more severe side-effects such as diarrhoea and vomiting stop detoxing and consult your doctor.
*O_O SEVERE SIDE EFFECTS?! wa.*

4. The downside of detoxification is that during the detoxification process, you may begin to feel some negative side effects. Headaches, sore muscles, cranky moods, insomnia and the general feeling of being physically weak are common during the first few days of the detoxification process.
People who are coffee addicted may have stronger "pull out" effects, as usually their PH Balance is not the best.
*They should have told me this earlier. I have a major coffee-addiction. Blardie.*

...
I lazy edi wan go read up summore on detox.
I'm most definitely not doing this again.
AND I hereby solemnly promise myself to thoroughly research any crazy diet or exercise or well...any programme that I plan to go on in the future.
20/20 hindsight is nothing to boast about.

Oh, but one more thing...
I didnt eat for one whole day...and yet I didnt faint.
I know people who can starve for just half a day and still faint.
I think I'm not genetically-predisposed to faint.
Not fair.
Bluek.

:D

~vid~

p.s. Yes, I am completely crazy, thank you very much. :)