Thursday 24 April 2008

Revelations

I've been racking my brains for the past 5 minutes, trying to come up with a suitable starting for this post, but I'm blank.
So screw introductions, I'm gonna jump right in to what I want to say, ok?

I'm gonna let a few skeletons out of the closet along the way, so I guess in a way its good that no relative of mine reads this blog.

Here goes :

My cousin's cousin got married two weeks ago.
He got married to some Chinese girl...and well, he always had had chinese girlfriends, but the thing is, this cousin's cousin (basically cousin la) of mine is really good-looking, and all his ex-es were next-to-supermodels and they were bloody filthy rich.
However, the girl he got married to, was the exact opposite of every girl he'd ever dated.
I shall not elaborate further on her.
Anyway, the major problems :
Number One : His side of the family are not very into mixed marriages. ... Ok, fine, they absolutely hate the idea. Our families have this concept where you can date anyone you want, but you shouldn't marry outside your race. Cos well, ok fine, we Malayalees ARE the most arrogant, proud specimens on the planet.
Number Two : He'd only KNOWN her for two months!
Number Three : The girl wasn't even near good-looking.
SO...
All the aunties and cousins were sitting in the living room (cos he wanted a no-fuss marriage. No-fuss = in the house, no unecessary relations)
*apparently I wasn't unecessary. cheh. perasan moment*
So they were all sitting in the living room, and gossiping.
Because they ALL thought that there was a possiblity the girl was pregnant and thats why he married her...or something along those lines.

You see, this is the thing. I'm not against gossiping. Heck, I gossip alot.
But I mean, you dont sit in a WEDDING HOUSE, in the LIVING ROOM, with the bride and bridegroom walking up and down in front of you, and GOSSIP about whether or not the bride is pregnant!
Thats just...not right!
I was seriously so disgusted that day.
It was just so cheap, and downright mean.
HONESTLY.

And then, two days ago, an uncle of mine passed away.
Actually, it was his son that got married to the chinese girl (refer to story above), but well, thats beside the point.
Its sufficient to know that it was the same family.
Normally, when someone passes away, its custom to have prayers in the house for 16 days.
And well, when someone passes away, esp if its the head of the family, normally alot of people come for the prayers, to keep the mourning family company.

For the first time, I walked into an empty house two days after a funeral.
The only people there were my auntie (wife of the deceased) and my cousin sister.
Aforesaid cousin brother (and chinese wife) had disappeared.
Even the son walked out wei!
I felt so sorry for them. The mother and daughter, I mean.
Honestly, they just looked so...abandoned. Deserted.
I mean, its a funeral house, and come on la, we have so many relations, 50% of whom stay in Subang itself, and NOBODY TURNS UP even for the prayers?!!
Even to keep them company!?
It was only me, my mum and the two of them there today.
So kesian la, honestly.

AND on top of that, people actually called my auntie to ask about how my uncle passed away.
And THEN they must speculate about whether he died in the OT and the doctors lied about trying to revive him, or whether the doctors never did the scope for him, or whether they did the scope and his heart collapsed...
FOR GOD'S SAKE LA.
These people dont have the decency to turn up and comfort the family, BUT CAN CALL AND DIG FOR INFORMATION!?
Seriously la, will it make even the slightest difference in their lives ah, HOW he passed away!?
And then can sit and SPECULATE some more!
Thats just beyond cruel!!
You're just making the family relive the thing over and over and over...for what?!
Specimens la the whole lot of them.

Sometimes, I just look at all this people, and I look at my family, and I just thank God profusely simply because I was born in this family.
Because for me, in these situations, I dont even have to think of whether something is right or wrong...for me, it's almost intuitional...I just know its wrong to gossip about people like that, and that its wrong to hurt people.
I just know.
And it hit me that the reason is because I was brought up that way.
I was brought up in such a way that I can automatically differentiate between right and wrong.
Its almost reflex.
And for that, I thank my parents.
But mostly, I thank God, because I didnt choose my parents. He did.
And I couldnt have made a better choice.

But seriously la, Thank God.

~vid~